1. What is a CCW permit?
A CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit allows you to carry concealed on your person, a loaded handgun in public (certain areas restricted).
2. Do I need a CCW permit to buy a gun?
No. A CCW is only required to carry a firearm concealed on your person.
3. How do I apply for a CCW permit in San Diego County?
1. Complete an application and schedule an appointment online through the Permitium system on the San Diego County Sheriff's Department website.
2. You will receive an approval letter via email after your background check is complete (usually within 90 days). The Sheriff's Department may contact you during this time if they have any questions regarding your application.
3. Once you have an approval letter, you can schedule the required 8 hour CCW course with our approved CCW instructor. CCW courses are held at our San Diego location and you may register for it online. Please note that you MUST have your approval letter before registering for this course.
4. After the 8 hour CCW course is complete, you will need to upload your course completion certificate through the Permitium on the San Diego County Sheriff's Department website. Once they have your certificate, you will be scheduled to come in for your physical permit.
4. How much does it cost to get a CCW permit in San Diego County?
An application fee for CCW is approximately $160 (paid to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department and is subject to change). The required 8 hour CCW course is $200 and it is offered at our San Diego location.
5. What documents do I need to apply for a CCW permit in San Diego County?
The following documents are required:
California driver license or ID.
Proof of residency. Acceptable proof of residency should be the most current bills that you receive MONTHLY. At least one document should be a utility bill:
Cell phone bill
Credit card statement
If applicable, DD214 or NG Form 22 (National Guard) with type of discharge included.
Verification that you are in the US legally if you were not born in the US (i.e. permanent resident card or naturalization certificate).
6. I am an active duty military and not a resident of California. Can I still apply for a California CCW permit?
Yes. You will need a copy of your orders and a driver license from your home state.
7. For how long is the CCW permit valid?
CCW permit is valid for 2 years. After 2 years it must be renewed.
8. I have a CCW permit from another state. Can I legally conceal carry in California?
No. California does not honor CCW permits issued in other states.
9. Is California CCW permit valid in other states?
No. California has no reciprocity with any other state. With a California CCW permit you can only carry within the state of California, including all of the 58 counties.
10. Can I conceal carry any handgun if I have a California CCW permit?
Each handgun that you wish to conceal carry has to be listed on your CCW and be registered to you in the state of California. You can have up to 3 handguns on your CCW. Off-roster handguns are allowed as long as they are registered to you in the state of California. Some modifications to the firearm are allowed but they cannot compromise the safety of the firearm. Generally, it is recommended to keep your firearm in stock configuration.